Thursday, April 7, 2016

Spiritual Tattletale

Don't be afraid to tattle on Fear.
by Danetta Kellar

As a new mother, I was constantly on edge in our new home. My son was so small, and we had just moved into a walled city where no one spoke English. There were no green grassy parks, no colorful playgrounds dotted with safety-approved swing sets, monkey bars, and see-saws. The streets were full of people, donkeys, and carts full of exotic wares. A little person could easily get trampled. Everywhere we went we had to be cautious, alert to unsafe conditions. 

Like an old-fashioned flicker film, pictures of danger would flash through my mind of some accident or other befalling my little boy. 


Fear began to chant its cheer and fill me to the brim.

In that new and strange setting, the fearful imaginings became more frequent. I would freeze in those moments, fear choking me to silence as I imagined the grim details of my imaginary worst-case scenario.

One day as I stood on the high balcony overlooking our small courtyard below, I imagined with horror my little one falling from the balcony. I held him more tightly and tried to breathe. 

I have not given you a spirit of fear, but of power, of love, and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

The words came to me like cold water on a sluggish summer afternoon. I snapped to attention, a thought occurring to me. 

I’m telling. I’m telling God what Fear is threatening.

And that is exactly what I did. I ran to my Father, and I tattled with all my heart. In explicit and careful detail, I outlined to Him every single dark and scary bit of what was looming awful in my mind. And then I asked Him for help.

Immediately I felt as if a Strong Protector had drawn up just in front of me, between me and fear, looming in power over the bully that had held me so fast only moments before. 

Someone bigger, stronger, was here now. Someone who loves me and defends me. Someone Fear is afraid of.

The fear flashes subsided considerably after that day. But in the years since, any time a fear grips my heart, parading its gory details across the screen of my mind like a B-rated horror movie, I run to my Father and tattle. Every single detail. When I bring what the enemy draws in darkness out into the Light, its power fades and it is defeated. Diminished. Ashes.

And I walk away with peace and confidence that I can always go to my Father and tell. Everything.

Have you run to God to tattle on Fear, Condemnation, Shame, or any of their bully friends lately? Take a time out and run as fast as you can today. And tell Him all about it.

Trust in Him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. -Psalm 62:8


 The Lord is my helper, I will not be afraid. -Psalm 118:6

Please share your experience of overcoming fear. How do you do it?

TWEETABLES



2 comments:

  1. Love it! This is such a great thing to keep in mind for all kinds of things. So well articulated in true Danetta style.

    ReplyDelete