Thursday, February 16, 2017

The Day Technology Took Over Our Lives

By Danetta Kellar

Oh, the joys of having everything at our fingertips, in one place. 

I found myself driving down the road recently, not feeling well, wondering if my phone could take my temperature. 

I love the convenience of technology. But I am not sure the cost of convenience is worth it.

One day not so long ago I got a new phone, and consequently, we did a switch among us so everyone got an upgrade. Having carefully backed everything up to clouds and hardware the night before, we left the phone store confident.

Five hours later, we were not so jovial. What began with one glitch led to another, and another, and another. By dinnertime I had two children making dinner so I could stay on the line with the tech. I called my husband and told him to hurry up and come home from work; we needed all hands on the techy deck.

Somewhere in the midst of the panic, the thought came to me that loss of data might just be a relief. A new beginning. The ultimate one-fail-swoop clean up. Pressure off.

In the fog of all of this, my daughter came home from school. She floated in and out of the room, bringing me paper hearts she had carefully cut out for me, spreading them across my computer keyboard. She placed a toy menu on my desk and asked if she could “please take my order”. She brought me an entire muffin tin full of colorful plastic cupcakes, made just for me. 

At one point my sweet girl climbed over the three cords attached to phones and laptops, past the phone glued to my ear, and into my lap. “I just want to spend time with you, Mommy. I haven't seen you all day.” 

The children not only cooked dinner, but they ate it. Alone. I never saw their Sloppy Joe creation.

My husband arrived home like a fireman responding to a three alarm fire, and began the work of putting the blazes out. He entered the family office to find us in high crisis mode. We all looked like Churchill’s men in the bunker, strategizing against Enemy Number One.

He was still solving the problem when I gave up at almost midnight and went to get ready for bed.

I whispered an exhausted prayer and fell to sleep.

Just as I dozed off, my phone tweeted. I had forgotten to set the new one to “Do Not Disturb”.

Heart pounding and body worn out, I lay there awake trying to go back to sleep. 

Technology had stolen my entire day.

How do you handle the beloved thief we call technology? I bet I’m not the only one who welcomes your advice today.

TWEETABLES



No comments:

Post a Comment