Thursday, February 9, 2017

Watching Over Me


by Danetta Kellar


The Lord will keep you from all harm—he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore. Psalm 121:7-8

I was watching him carefully from my place on the treadmill across the gym. 

Slowly he circled the weights, occasionally glancing over at the young guys with big biceps and strong backs lifting barbells. He ran his hand along the weight rack, wishful. 

At one point he looked up at me and saw me watching him. 

“What’s the matter?” he silently mouthed with a look of annoyance. I smiled in return and touched my heart.

Eventually, with a sigh, he grabbed a mat and began furiously doing crunches on the floor.
My teenage son has a heart condition that prohibits him from lifting weights. His left ventricle is enlarged to within mere centimeters of bursting. The doctors keep a close watch on it, waiting for the right moment to do surgery to repair the obstruction causing this enlargement. My boy is growing into a man. The balance between allowing growth and protecting from pain is a precarious and fragile business.

I watch him surreptitiously every time we go to the gym. Not wanting to hover, I keep my distance. But I am watching with concern nonetheless. I see his longing to be like the other boys. I see him wanting to become strong and muscular, to prove his manhood. I watch him struggle against a limitation he did not ask for.

I see him growing strong in ways that are different from many of his peers. He is learning hard lessons for one so young. Lessons of perseverance, faith, patience. He is an overcomer.

There is also One who watches you and me with concern and care. We circle our dreams and desires, looking longingly at others who have what we wish we did. We are preoccupied with our limitations. We feel less than, discouraged.

God watches us with eyes of love and acceptance, grace and mercy. 

He is much more patient with us than we are with ourselves. We are growing in ways we do not realize. We are stronger than we can see.

Lord, help me face the limitations in my life today. Make me an overcomer. Amen.

TWEETABLES




2 comments:

  1. Oh...so good. You are, indeed, a writer. This was a great post that I needed to read. Thanks for obeying your call. Blessings...and I pray your son is 100% healthy, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gail. I am so glad this spoke to you. Blessings to you today.

    ReplyDelete